Triple P – Positive Parenting Program
Triple P is a multilevel system of parenting and family support for every parent.
Triple P teaches practical, effective ways to manage common issues which most parents will face, such as:
- meal time and bed time difficulties
- hurting others
Grandparents and other carers are welcome to attend Triple P too.
Parents are invited to learn:
- effective parenting strategies
- ways to encourage behaviour you like
- how to promote your child’s development
- how to prevent or manage common child behaviour problems.
Parents want to have a positive relationship with their child, but sometimes this can be challenging.
Five key principles of positive parenting
Triple P is based on 5 key principles of positive parenting:
- Ensuring a safe, interesting environment where children can explore, experiment and develop their skills.
- Creating a positive learning environment by being available when children need help, care or attention.
- Using assertive discipline by being consistent and acting quickly when children misbehave.
- Having realistic expectations for children and for yourself as a parent.
- Taking care of yourself as a parent and ensuring personal needs are met.
How Triple P will help you
Triple P provides parents and carers with the ability to teach their children important social skills, such as how to:
- communicate their needs and wants
- be polite and use good manners
- control their temper
- share and play cooperatively
- play independently
“The program clarified for me that I was doing a good job but could improve in certain areas – every parent should do it.”
Parenting themes that are discussed include:
- giving affection
- talking and listening to your child
- promoting desirable behaviour
- encouraging independence
- providing engaging activities.
There are 2 styles of Triple P courses offered by the Department of Health, at no cost to parents or carers. Courses are organised during school terms and a crèche may be available.
Triple P programs are scheduled at different venues and times throughout the WA school terms. Please note programs fill quickly so please contact us for the next available session.
The programs include strategies to help you prevent or deal effectively with unwanted behaviours when they arise.
You will receive a workbook or tipsheets to refer to after the program, and as your children get older.
Seminar Series Triple P provides an introduction to the principles of positive parenting for parents of children aged 3 to 8 years.
Delivered as three individual 90 minute sessions covering:
- the power of positive parenting
- raising confident competent children
- raising resilient children.
Parents can attend any or all of the three seminars.
Group Triple P
“I really enjoyed it! Excellent facilitators and a really supportive environment.”
Group Triple P is for parents of children aged 3 to 8 years. The program teaches a broad range of strategies to help parents manage their children’s behaviour in a variety of parenting situations.
Delivered as an eight week program, it includes five 2 hour group sessions and three follow up phone calls to tailor the program to the needs of each family.
Parents will be asked to complete confidential questionnaires to help ensure the program meets their individual needs. Completion of the questionnaires is voluntary but strongly encouraged.
Triple P is proven to help you raise happy and confident children
“It was good to be reminded of how a positive relationship with my child can really benefit them.”
The program is based on extensive research that shows the importance of positive, effective parenting.
Listen to Triple P’s Professor Matt Sanders and other parenting experts talk about common parenting challenges, including:
- dealing with toddler tantrums
- teenage rebellion
- disciplining other people’s children
These are just some of the topics you will hear in these radio discussions. Listen to Triple P podcasts (external link).
Where to get help
Community health nurses
Triple P International
Raising Children Network
Better Health Program
Register for the Better Health Program (external site) – a free healthy living program for kids above a healthy weight, running across the Perth Metropolitan region. This fun and interactive program helps children aged between 7 and 13 years and their families, adopt a long-lasting healthy lifestyle.
Child and Adolescent Community Health
This publication is provided for education and information purposes only. It is not a substitute for professional advice. Information about a service, product or treatment does not imply endorsement and is not intended to replace professional advice. Readers should note that over time currency and completeness of the information may change. All users should seek advice from a qualified professional for answers to their questions.