How to use an autohaler
Autohalers can be used by adults and children over 8.
- Take the cover off the mouthpiece.
- Shake the autohaler well.
- Hold upright and push the lever up until it clicks into place.
- Breathe out gently away from autohaler. Place mouthpiece in your mouth and seal your lips around it. Breathe in slowly and deeply. The autohaler will release the medication automatically. Keep breathing in until you’ve taken a full breath.
- Hold your breath for 10 seconds. Remove autohaler from your mouth before breathing out.
- Press the lever down and replace cap.
Repeat steps 1–5 if another dose is needed.
How can I tell when the autohaler is empty?
There is no counter on the autohaler, so you should keep track of how many times you use it.
There is a sticker on the autohaler that tells you how many doses (sometimes called actuations) the device contains.
It is always a good idea to have a backup autohaler so that you don’t run out of medication.
How should you look after an autohaler?
Keep the cap on your autohaler when not in use.
Child and Adolescent Health Service
This publication is provided for education and information purposes only. It is not a substitute for professional medical care. Information about a therapy, service, product or treatment does not imply endorsement and is not intended to replace advice from your healthcare professional. Readers should note that over time currency and completeness of the information may change. All users should seek advice from a qualified healthcare professional for a diagnosis and answers to their medical questions.