How to use an accuhaler
Accuhalers can be used by adults and children over 8.
- Hold the accuhaler with one hand and place thumb of other on the thumb grip. Open the accuhaler by pushing the thumb grip around until it clicks.
- Slide the lever down until it clicks. The medicine is now loaded.
- Breathe out gently away from the mouthpiece.
- Place mouth over the mouthpiece and breathe in deeply and steadily through your mouth.
- Remove the accuhaler from your mouth and hold your breath for 10 seconds. Close the accuhaler.
If another dose is required repeat steps 3 to 5.
When ﬁnished, close the accuhaler by placing thumb in the thumb grip and sliding it back around until the cover clicks back into place.
How can I tell when the accuhaler is empty?
There are 60 doses of medication in the accuhaler. A dose counter on the side of the accuhaler will tell you how many doses you have left. The last 5 will show up red.
How should you look after an accuhaler?
- Avoid breathing into the accuhaler as moisture will cause the device to become clogged.
- Avoid getting your accuhaler wet – keep it in a dry place.
- Keep the accuhaler closed when it is not being used.
Child and Adolescent Health Service
This publication is provided for education and information purposes only. It is not a substitute for professional medical care. Information about a therapy, service, product or treatment does not imply endorsement and is not intended to replace advice from your healthcare professional. Readers should note that over time currency and completeness of the information may change. All users should seek advice from a qualified healthcare professional for a diagnosis and answers to their medical questions.