Maintaining a healthy weight is one of the best things you can do for your health and well-being. Eating a variety of healthy foods and being physically active every day can help you achieve and maintain healthy body weight. It can also lower your risk of developing ongoing health problems.
Why should I be a healthy weight?
Maintaining a healthy weight can decrease you risks of a range of obesity-related health problems such as:
How can I tell if I’m a healthy weight?
There are two simple ways to find out if you're a healthy weight:
- Measure your waistline
- Calculate your Body Mass Index (BMI) (external site).
Ways to maintain a healthy weight
There are many ways you can manage and maintain a healthy weight. Most importantly:
- Make healthy living a priority for yourself and your family.
- Be physically active every day.
- Decrease your sedentary activities – sit less, move more.
- Enjoy a healthy diet – eat a wide variety of nutritious foods and cut down on foods high in fat, sugar and salt.
Where to get help
- Maintaining a healthy weight is one of the best things you can do for your health and well-being.
This publication is provided for education and information purposes only. It is not a substitute for professional medical care. Information about a therapy, service, product or treatment does not imply endorsement and is not intended to replace advice from your healthcare professional. Readers should note that over time currency and completeness of the information may change. All users should seek advice from a qualified healthcare professional for a diagnosis and answers to their medical questions.