Having a baby at the Family Birth Centre – King Edward Memorial Hospital
The Family Birth Centre provides a comfortable homelike environment for you to have an active birth.
The birth centre is available to you as a public or a private patient, regardless of where you live.
The centre is located on-site at King Edward Memorial Hospital and provides care for healthy women who anticipate a normal pregnancy and birth.
Due to high demand, places in the Family Birth Centre are limited so please book in early.
Facilities at the Family Birth Centre include:
- 4 birth suites comfortably furnished with double beds and easy chairs
- individual garden courtyards
- ensuite shower and toilet
- a large bath for use during labour and/or waterbirth
- kitchen for food preparation and food storage for families.
Services and features
Services and features at the centre include:
- midwifery led care through team midwifery
- parent education classes
- family room with dining facilities
- children's play area
- access to King Edward Memorial Hospital if required
- discharge within 24 hours of your birth
- visiting midwifery service.
Tours of the centre are held each Sunday at 1.30pm and 2.30pm. Bookings are essential – please use the number listed below.
Family Birth Centre
Phone: 6458 1800 (8.30am – 4.00pm, Monday to Friday)
Address: King Edward Memorial Hospital, Railway Parade, Subiaco WA 6008 (entrance between Bagot and Barker Roads)
Women and Newborn Health Service
This publication is provided for education and information purposes only. It is not a substitute for professional medical care. Information about a therapy, service, product or treatment does not imply endorsement and is not intended to replace advice from your healthcare professional. Readers should note that over time currency and completeness of the information may change. All users should seek advice from a qualified healthcare professional for a diagnosis and answers to their medical questions.