Healthy living

Getting help – alcohol and other drug use

Do I need help?

  • Have friends or family ever worried or complained about your alcohol and other drug use?
  • Do you ever use drugs or alcohol first thing in the morning or to get you through the day?
  • Are you concerned about your alcohol and other drug use?
  • Do you ever use drugs or alcohol to overcome the effects of alcohol or other drugs taken earlier?
  • Have you or someone else been injured as a result of your alcohol and other drug use?
  • Have you ever felt regret after taking drugs or alcohol?
  • Do you conceal your use from family or friends, or edit stories involving your drinking or using?
  • Does your alcohol and other drug use impact negatively on other parts of your life, for example work, friendships, finances, health?
  • Have you ever run out of money for things you need (for example, food, bills, going out) because you've spent your money on alcohol or drugs?
  • Would you like to change the way you use drugs or alcohol?
It's not always easy to recognise that you need help with your alcohol and other drug use. If you answer yes to any of the above questions it may mean you could do with some assistance.

Alcohol and Drug Support Service 

The Alcohol and Drug Support Service operates four 24 hour, statewide telephone support lines providing confidential counselling, information, advice and referral:

  • Alcohol and Drug Support Line
  • Meth Helpline
  • Parent and Family Drug Support Line

Contact can be made by phone, email or online Live Chat.

View the phone numbers and email addresses on the Mental Health Commission (external site).

Live Chat can be accessed at Alcohol. Think Again (external site)Drug Aware (external site) or Mental Health Commission (external site).

Drug Aware

Drug Aware is a program that targets young people with messages about drug use, focussing on the prevention of drug use and associated harm. It aims to do this by providing credible, factual information that people make informed decisions.

Do you need some information about drugs? Or have you got a question about your own or someone else's drug use?

To contact Drug Aware you can:

  • Email (external site) – Your email will be answered as soon as possible during business hours, as this service is not staffed 24 hours a day.
  • Chat online (external site) and confidentially to a qualified alcohol and other drugs counsellor (click chat button on home page). This service is provided free-of-charge for residents of Western Australia and is operated between the hours of 7.00am and 11.00pm.

If your question cannot be answered, you will be pointed in the right direction.

Where to get help

  • Call one of the Alcohol and Drug Support Service's 24 hour support lines (external site) – providing confidential counselling, information, advice and referral.
  • For emergency or life-threatening conditions, visit an emergency department or dial triple zero (000) to call an ambulance. Police are not called unless a death has occurred or ambulance officers are threatened.
  • See your doctor.
  • Visit a GP after hours.
  • Ring healthdirect on 1800 022 222.


  • It's not always easy to recognise that you need help with your alcohol or other drug use.
  • The Alcohol and Drug Information Service (ADIS) is a confidential, non-judgemental service that can help you with information, counselling, referral and advice about alcohol and other drugs.

This information provided by

Drug aware logo


Drug and Alcohol Office

This publication is provided for education and information purposes only. It is not a substitute for professional medical care. Information about a therapy, service, product or treatment does not imply endorsement and is not intended to replace advice from your healthcare professional. Readers should note that over time currency and completeness of the information may change. All users should seek advice from a qualified healthcare professional for a diagnosis and answers to their medical questions.

Link to HealthyWA Facebook page