Asthma first aid plan
All severe or life threatening asthma attacks require urgent medical attention.
Always dial triple zero (000) to call an ambulance in a medical emergency, then:
- Sit the person upright and reassure them. Do not leave them alone.
- Give one puff of the blue reliever medication. Take 4 breaths in and out. Use the puffer on its own if no spacer is available.
- Repeat 3 times, so that you have given a total of 4 puffs.
- Wait 4 minutes.
- Keep giving the blue reliever medication one puff at a time until the ambulance arrives.
Where to get help
- For emergency or life-threatening conditions, visit an emergency department or dial triple zero (000) to call an ambulance
- See your doctor
- Visit a GP after hours
- Ring healthdirect on 1800 022 222
Child and Adolescent Health Service
This publication is provided for education and information purposes only. It is not a substitute for professional medical care. Information about a therapy, service, product or treatment does not imply endorsement and is not intended to replace advice from your healthcare professional. Readers should note that over time currency and completeness of the information may change. All users should seek advice from a qualified healthcare professional for a diagnosis and answers to their medical questions.